Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neighborhood preparedness

Hey all,
    Have any of you talked with your neighbors about preparing for a disaster? Whether it is a natural one or man made, there are lots of reasons that a group is better than a single family or two. We live in a rural area with about 35 homes on a dead end road by the lake and as a combined group would stand a better chance.
    How did you contact your neighbors and what did you say to get the conversations rolling? I thought about putting a note in some mail boxes but am not sure how to start things.
    Any ideas will be appreciated

Marc
    Firestorm .22 Matte
    BT .380 Duo-Tone
    BT .380CC Nickle
    9MM UC PRO Matte
    Colt Combat Com .45
    plus others
    MSG Retired
    US Army 9/81 thru 5/05
    Iraq 2/04 to1/05

Re: neighborhood preparedness

None of my immediate neighbors have firearms, except the guy who lives adjacent to the SE corner of our property. He is a Duck hunter and has a couple shotguns. None of them prepare for anything. I don't know what the hell they would do in a meltdown. I sure couldn't take care of them..
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Comment

Have the conversation with the folks you do know - but be circumspect. You'll find out pretty quick who has similar views, and they'll probably know things about the neighbors you don't know. After you get an idea for who is interested - get to know who you DON'T want there too. That sounds a bit heartless, but freeloaders, those incapable of providing any useful input or those who are total bleeding hearts will be a drain and a massive source of potential conflict. Ironically, the gung-ho survivalist type can be a real red flag too. Having an influence around that will advocate spartan ideals and not scruple to "weed out the weak (in their opinion)" is also a source of conflict. Whatever plan you have, identify who is good at what. Who are the hunters, who knows how to keep a garden alive and take care of beetles, slugs and flies, who is the handyman, who can fix engines, who can build? Then decide where you will all go if things go bad. There is so much to think about, but having a general outline of what you can do is a great start. One other piece of advice - NEVER show your whole hand. The number of weapons, how much food, boxes of ammo, survival equipment - some of that is best for you to know and them to guess. If the worst happens, then you can pool resources. But better to be prepared and bring a lot to the table than to be on someones list of the first place to attack if they decide to cut and run with whatever they can grab.
      http://georgiacarry.org/
      The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

Many HOAs around here host CERT training nights. Agencies are invited to speak and hold the CERT classes. If anything, these nights let you know who you could align with

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Many who have their act together will be reluctant to talk. Many absolutely will not discuss preparedness with anyone outside a tight circle of well known. They don't want to be victims. In many cases this includes extended family members, neighbors, coworkers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Iraq 69 View Post
            Hey all,
            Have any of you talked with your neighbors about preparing for a disaster? Whether it is a natural one or man made, there are lots of reasons that a group is better than a single family or two. We live in a rural area with about 35 homes on a dead end road by the lake and as a combined group would stand a better chance.
            How did you contact your neighbors and what did you say to get the conversations rolling? I thought about putting a note in some mail boxes but am not sure how to start things.
            Any ideas will be appreciated

Marc
            Saw a movie recently about a SHTF scenario and this small group of friends headed for the hills. Just down the road a bit was another, larger group, a small community actually, of more preppers. Long story short, the larger group found out the smaller group had a hoard of medicine from a disgruntled member of the smaller group and raided them and took all their medicine. Sometimes having a group is not so good.
            Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkey View Post
              Many who have their act together will be reluctant to talk. Many absolutely will not discuss preparedness with anyone outside a tight circle of well known. They don't want to be victims. In many cases this includes extended family members, neighbors, coworkers, etc.
              I agree. I will say that everyone should be discussing, planning and agreeing upon a plan for sharing and protecting with another family or two with whom you are sufficiently comfortable to trust your life. Discuss where, when and how. Plan on pooling resources. If the SHTF day comes it'll be important. If not, you will develop some even stronger relationships.
              NRA Range Safety Officer

Comment

All good info and I agree that you don't want to show all your cards to ANYONE!!!! I will start talking to some of the guys as I see them around and feel them out. There are several hunters in the group and hopefully they are like minded at least to a point.
                I also agree that the right mix of people as a group will stand a much better chance than a single family during any type of disaster.
                Thanks all,
                Marc
                Firestorm .22 Matte
                BT .380 Duo-Tone
                BT .380CC Nickle
                9MM UC PRO Matte
                Colt Combat Com .45
                plus others
                MSG Retired
                US Army 9/81 thru 5/05
                Iraq 2/04 to1/05

Comment

I now have a neighbor across road maybe 1/4 mile who has a full auto lic. I been hearing rat tat tat every week end . I just hope he has enough ammo when needed.

Might drive up and down road with a PA system flying a Don't Tread on me flag and the American Flag Yelling The UN is coming !!!!!! Or vote for Hillary I sure either will show who has weapons
                  Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

anywhere near Knob Creek?

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Glisenti View Post
                      anywhere near Knob Creek?
                      Iam maybe a hour from their. Ky has many class 3 owners Its not that hard to get. It just really expensive for the weapon Thanks to a certain Republican President from CA That many think was so great.
                      Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Don't stuff the mailbox. Messing with someone's mailbox I heard is a federal offense. Invest in a stamp.

I have a list of all of my neighbor's email addresses. When my leg is better I am planning on offering a LTC (CHL) class and see who is interested. This could give me an idea of the neighbors who take things seriously. Do not recommend talking about your stash. hungry people will become desperate.
                        Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

Working...
                        X