Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best handguns for Home defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Re: Best handguns for Home defence

    I go with the one in your hand mentality. As far as worrying about over penetration I live in a house made of block and I have three block walls around me, but I guess there is that one angle that just could maybe.....
    Certified Armed Infidel .

    Comment


      #17
      Re: Best handguns for Home defence

      Originally posted by cavelamb View Post
      Even a 22 miss means a likely round out of the house.

      http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/


      But the article was wrong anyway.
      The best hand gun for homes defense - is the one in your hand!

      The 22 story here...
      http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/
      Or as Gomer woud say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

      Pretty much as I suspected. With the velocity of a rifle round it's going to keep on trucking. The big slow .45 stopped short of the higher velocity 9mm. While I'm remodelling I'll see how deep the .380 Hydroshock penetrated the 2X6. I do know it went through one sheet of wood panelling and part of the jacket stuck in the 2X6 about an inch from the core.

      Comment


        #18
        Re: Best handguns for Home defence

        Any "best" list is either simply a bunch of the authors opinions, or, designed to generate controversy. Find what works for you, shoot it until you are willing to gamble your loved ones lives on it, and put that at the top of your own "best" list.

        My best, for the bedroom bedside tables at least, consist of .357 magnum revolvers, one on each side a 4 inch model 66 on mine and my wife's pet 6 inch 66 in hers, , with two speedloaders which will fit in either revolver, and a very bright flashlight.

        Comment


          #19
          Re: Best handguns for Home defence

          Originally posted by lee1959 View Post
          Any "best" list is either simply a bunch of the authors opinions, or, designed to generate controversy. Find what works for you, shoot it until you are willing to gamble your loved ones lives on it, and put that at the top of your own "best" list.

          My best, for the bedroom bedside tables at least, consist of .357 magnum revolvers, one on each side a 4 inch model 66 on mine and my wife's pet 6 inch 66 in hers, , with two speedloaders which will fit in either revolver, and a very bright flashlight.
          Lee, those are quite possibly the worst guns you could have on the bed side tables. Please, send them to me to be impounded for destruction. Starting with the 4".

          Comment


            #20
            Re: Best handguns for Home defence

            The 22 mag Kel Tec has some relieabilty problems . Mainly mag problems.
            A shot gun in house not in my house To large, recoil, noise.
            Need to shoot you home defense gun. Inside and no hearing protection. See what its really going to be like . Even a 22 going to be loud
            Certified Armed Infidel


            “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.


            John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

            The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

            11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

            "Just say "Lay A Way"

            "WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

            SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS



            TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

            Comment


              #21
              Re: Best handguns for Home defence

              Originally posted by John View Post
              Lee, those are quite possibly the worst guns you could have on the bed side tables. Please, send them to me to be impounded for destruction. Starting with the 4".
              Lol, sure, don't forget to sit by the door for the mailman until they get there. I used to keep a .45 in mine and 357 in hers until I decided I wanted both just as easy to use for her, and she is more comfortable with revolvers.

              Comment


                #22
                Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                Noise has always been one of my issues inside. All those people that say ...rack a 12 gauge and scare them away... and I say .. let off a round of 357 mag. You don't have to hit, the noise concussion will have them stunned long enough to beat them gun... (just remember to put your ears on first ..).
                Certified Armed Infidel .

                Comment


                  #23
                  Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                  I have a set of ears hanging on the bed post, just in case I hear them breaking in & have time to put them on. If no time, so be it & I'll settle for more hearing loss. As already said, even a .22 is gonna sound loud in a confined space & texture of walls & ceiling may have some dampening effect.
                  Think Green.......Recycle Congress

                  Certified Armed Infidel

                  Right Wing Extremist

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                    Originally posted by mitchr View Post
                    I have a set of ears hanging on the bed post, just in case I hear them breaking in & have time to put them on.
                    I now have a mental picture of an old man in his tighty whiteys, in a bowlegged weaver stance wearing a trucker cap, earmuffs, with a 1911.

                    I have to say the image is terrifying.



                    Stoopid phone.
                    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                      Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                      I now have a mental picture of an old man in his tighty whiteys, in a bowlegged weaver stance wearing a trucker cap, earmuffs, with a 1911.

                      I have to say the image is terrifying.



                      Stoopid phone.
                      Ugh. Visualizing a scene that not one of us wants to see. Someone just had to go there and it just had to be you PH.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                        Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                        I now have a mental picture of an old man in his tighty whiteys, in a bowlegged weaver stance wearing a trucker cap, earmuffs, with a 1911.

                        I have to say the image is terrifying.




                        Stoopid phone.

                        Since you mention it, maybe I should turn on the lights. May not hafta fire a shot!
                        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

                        Certified Armed Infidel

                        Right Wing Extremist

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                          Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                          I now have a mental picture of an old man in his tighty whiteys, in a bowlegged weaver stance wearing a trucker cap, earmuffs, with a 1911.

                          I have to say the image is terrifying.



                          Stoopid phone.
                          You just HAD to paint that mental picture! Maybe GS can put it on canvas and offer it up in a Karma. ( Worst Karma sign up EVER) lmao. As for a .22lr in the house, they're not that bad. I've dispatched a few feral animals from inside the house, from inside my van and from in the shop with the door open. It's not too bad. Not sure I'd try it with a .22 mag though.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                            Originally posted by Rev_Les View Post
                            Maybe GS can put it on canvas and offer it up in a Karma. ( Worst Karma sign up EVER) lmao.
                            Sorry, Rev.....the only reference photo I have of mitchr is the one where he thought the Bersa .380 was a Makarov.

                            Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Re: Best handguns for Home defence

                              Originally posted by gun sane View Post
                              Sorry, Rev.....the only reference photo I have of mitchr is the one where he thought the Bersa .380 was a Makarov.

                              That's good to know.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X