X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARE YOUR GO BAGS READY?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartandhp

THE NORTHERN LIGHTS ARE HEADED SOUTH THIS WEEKEND

A geomagnetic storm, caused by a cloud of charged particles ejected from the sun, may bring the aurora borealis as far south as Iowa, Colorado and Washington on Saturday, as these particles bombard Earth, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center.

"If the storm is oriented properly, we could have a chance for auroras for several days after impact," said Tamitha Skov, a space weather scientist based in Los Angeles.

Auroras form when charged particles from the sun collide with Earth's atmosphere. When there is an influx of charged particles during geomagnetic storms, this can supercharge the aurora's glow, according to Terry Onsager, a physicist at the Space Weather Prediction Center.

"It's like a big battery driving electricity through the Earth's system," he said. "And when that flows through the atmosphere, the atmosphere glows like a neon light."

W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

This is called a coronal mass ejection. The last BIG one in 1887 caused telegraph wires to melt in the western United States. Think what could happen to our power grid with another BIG one... Just say'in.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

It won't let me read the story unless I also read all the commercials. When is the article dated? Was it this Saturday & has already happened, or do we have a whole week to worry?
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Tonight and tomorrow, starting in the east and north around midnight
        NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

I have lived in places where the Northern Lights are regular occurrence. Have seen some fantastic displays. They are beautiful, but I don't want to live in the life threatening cold and armpit deep snow again.
          Sorry looks back.
          Worry looks around.
          Faith looks up.

Comment

I have had the blessed experience of seeing the lights a few while in a cockpit, 30,000+ feet up in the air at night. That and the St Elmo's Fire phenomenon in an aircraft always amazes me. They are both so fantastically beautiful.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Saw the aurora while in the North Sea. Saw many times from 35,000 ft
              NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

I saw some pretty fantastic lights the last time the Princess hit me with a frying pan.
                Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
                  I have had the blessed experience of seeing the lights a few while in a cockpit, 30,000+ feet up in the air at night. That and the St Elmo's Fire phenomenon in an aircraft always amazes me. They are both so fantastically beautiful.
                  I have seen a once in a lifetime intensity aurora display, but never from the air. The St. Elmo's fire I have yet to see.
                  "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I've also seen the green flash on the horizon from the air. intense pretty green.
                    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
                      I've also seen the green flash on the horizon from the air. intense pretty green.
                      I've seen that at sea during sunset. Another phenomenon that is awesome. It is like the sea rises up and touches the sun, starts to envelope it, and slowly pulls it down. The flash happened right when the sun disappeared from the horizon.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
                        Dang it, that's another thing I've heard of but never seen.
                        I need a green flash and some St. Elmo's fire in my life.

Ps: I think we have hijacked the $#!+ out of this thread.
                        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Isn't that what we're known for?
                          NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Did I miss anything? I had my bags packed and went to Alpha Centauri just in case the Earth got zapped. Seems to still be there, is it safe to return?
                            Certified Armed Infidel
                            كافر

Comment

Come on back home, all is forgiven....
                              NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Working...
                              X