This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with CGW - who is recommended?

Sorry - but I am done with Colorado Gun Works. I have a new 380 that I have shot twice, sent back twice. That part is not the fault of CGW. - BUT - I am really dissatisfied that when I got the gun back the 1st time, there was zero communication about the problem and what they did to the gun.
    This time around I called before i sent it in and they said it should be about a week turn-around, I called last week after 2 weeks and whoever answers the phone out there (they don't return voicemails or emails) seemed annoyed that I had called and gave me a generic answer that it would likely ship back to me earlier this week. That was a generic answer without looking up any info on my gun.
    I called again today after 3 weeks and asked again for info, and same attitude received. I had to press to get any relevant info on my gun, and was asked, "when did we rcv it?" "What is the serial number?" I gave him the arrival date at their shop which I had from the shiiping agent. I just wanted to know if a part was on order for it and was there any usable ETA? Person on phone was rude, asked ME - "what's wrong with it?", and and asked me how I know, - talking down to me. Hell I sent the requisite note in with it about the problem I as having. Do they read those? He just gave me same response, - "you'll get it when you get it". ...
    Well I had so much higher expectations after other posts on this forum about them. I am not a pest and I understand their situation as being rather busy and I know they have had issues relating to their having moved to Illinois, family tragedy, and flu season.
    If they find customer service that bothersome, I am all too happy to use a different shop next time. I will darken their door no more.
    Also - not real happy with Bersa quality-control to have a new gun be so unusable - my BT9proUC has been problem-free, but the 380-Plus has been a headache between trigger draw-bar and now the slide-catch. WITH A NEW GUN .. I AM NOT the only person having these issues, how about it Bersa?
    Last edited by Ratbag; 02-18-2013, 03:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate
    Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information

Re: Done with CGW - who is recommended?

Merged the 2 posts..

Comment

Man....I know its a bummer (from experience). I had a Taurus TCP that went back 3 times in just a few months. I got a total of 78 rounds through it with much trouble. I finally got rid of it anf got a Bersa T380. It turned out to be a great gun. They are fantastic shooters.
      I have since had 2 new Bersa Plus pistols to break (same as you -drawbar). Boooo- Its a big downer no doubt. I did not have mine repaired, but returned one for replacement and got the same problem again. Last time I took a refund. I wish I had sent it in for repairs. My 3rd one has been great.
      I guess I am running through this to say- don't loose heart. They can most probably fix it right. I know- a new gun should work- period. Its difficult to get the bad taste of a broken new gun out of your mouth (I know- see above), but hang on. When you get it back....if it works good, you will be happy.

edit: I have two that are great...Looking for the 3rd.

edit2: Looks like Rynerson's in Baton Rogue and Jim's in Lott Texas are fairly close to you.
      I have seen posts on this forum speaking good of Rynerson's.
      Last edited by brojohn; 02-17-2013, 01:01 PM.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I have shared your experience. I had hoped after the move things would be different. That's all I'll add to that subject.
        Reynersons seems to get good remarks on their service.
        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I guess I should be knocking on some wood but in all the new guns I have owned over the years I have never had to send one in for repair. In fact I have never had to repair any gun I have owned. I recently bought a Thunder Plus and so far it is staying true as well and it is a D series. From listening to the folks on this board I guess I have been really lucky so far ... I just hope I haven't spoke too soon.

Comment

Give Reynersons a try.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by brojohn View Post
              Man....I know its a bummer (from experience). I had a Taurus TCP that went back 3 times in just a few months. I got a total of 78 rounds through it with much trouble. I finally got rid of it anf got a Bersa T380. It turned out to be a great gun. They are fantastic shooters.
              I have since had 2 new Bersa Plus pistols to break (same as you -drawbar). Boooo- Its a big downer no doubt. I did not have mine repaired, but returned one for replacement and got the same problem again. Last time I took a refund. I wish I had sent it in for repairs. My 3rd one has been great.
              I guess I am running through this to say- don't loose heart. They can most probably fix it right. I know- a new gun should work- period. Its difficult to get the bad taste of a broken new gun out of your mouth (I know- see above), but hang on. When you get it back....if it works good, you will be happy.

edit: I have two that are great...Looking for the 3rd.

edit2: Looks like Rynerson's in Baton Rogue and Jim's in Lott Texas are fairly close to you.
              I have seen posts on this forum speaking good of Rynerson's.
              Thanks brojohn and PHMadness, - I just PM'd a Bersa rep on Bersa.com forum, so I'll see if walking the ladder renders forth a happy ending. Dang- I want the 380-Plus to work for me, the only reason I got the beast is I'm kinky for a PPK clone and I totally dig my 9ucPro. I'll post back with results of this venture.
              Last edited by Ratbag; 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM.
              Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information

Comment

Originally posted by okav8tor View Post
                I guess I should be knocking on some wood but in all the new guns I have owned over the years I have never had to send one in for repair. In fact I have never had to repair any gun I have owned. I recently bought a Thunder Plus and so far it is staying true as well and it is a D series. From listening to the folks on this board I guess I have been really lucky so far ... I just hope I haven't spoke too soon.
                Thanks for your input, unfortunately, mine is also a D-series. Seems the slide-catch is a too soft metal(aluminum?) - draw-bar and slide-catch are a common problem. Most posts involve the 380-Plus and 380cc. Perhaps the standard BT380 is a more proven design for most?

cheers

Comment

I will darken their door no more.
                  You and me both!!
                  Had a gun there myself, got the same run around... for 13 months.

Good luck.

Comment

I know how frustrating that can be. If gunsmiths could actually shoot 50 plus rounds through a gun before sending it back there might be more satisfied customers.

I went from Reynersons to CGW who finally fixed mine. It was the extractor. Took a lot of time between both places for my new .380 to finally be able to use it. I check a couple of other gun forums and there can be initial problems with any new firearm of any brand.
                    Bersa Thunder .380, Academy model.

Give the Gift of Life.
                    Register to become and organ,tissue, and eye donor:
                    http://www.organdonor.gov/

Comment

Between FXW's Kimber and Beretta We have 2 guns that have spend a total of about 1 1/2 years at their warranty centers.. And yes I've had to send a Bersa in also. At least Bersa finally replaced the gun with a new one.

Comment

Not a happy ending -
                        After a call to Bersa Sales to intervene, I asked them to call me back instead of CGW. But I did get a call the very next day from.. CGW. Said my gun was ready (huzzah) and "who's worked on this gun?" he says. I answered - you, and .. you. - Nu- uhh he says and proceeded to accuse me of meddling with bits he couldn't even fully iterate to me. Also enclosed a little love note back with the gun stating " This firearm was worked on after it was here. Someone tried to to something(?) with the disconnector spring and messed up serveral things(?). Other than removing the slide and grips for cleaning DO NOT disassm(sp) the firearm beyond this point. - "team GGW"

I have NEVER done more than field strip the NEW gun to clean, and I do not appreciate being accused of something that I did not do.
                        I noticed he actually believed me enough to replace a broken slide-catch which he questioned my powers of observation over phone, I thank them for that.

Perhaps a known factory flaw is what he refers to: form forum post :
                        http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...her-most!-Help

That was it! I removed the right side of the grip, removed the bar, and noticed the pin was sticking up about a millimeter or so. I broke out the phillips screwdriver and a hammer and proceeded to seat it flush again. It works BEAUTIFULLY now!!! (Will take it to the range on Tuesday to test for sure) I didn't get pics of it before the hammering, but I tore back in so I could get pics so others could see what was wrong. (And it still works after the second reassembly, How cool is that???)

I think the cut-out area on the bar is where the magazine safety goes on the regular Thunder 380. I guess they use the same bar for the Plus as well? Might consider ordering another bar so I can bevel that edge to prevent it from ever happening again.

Maybe I'm not a gunsmithing 'god' - but neither do I make pretense to same........
                        On top of a new gun that has busted twice after shooting twice, and being insulted by a factory repair center on top of it, - I expect some form of apology from Bersa /Eagle
                        Hell can freeze over before I have any more dealings with CGW!

Last edited by Ratbag; 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I wish I could say your experience with them was isolated. There seems to be no gray area, either they take great care of you..... or not. I try to remain unbiased, but stuff like this plus my own experiences makes it VERY difficult.
                          "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                            I wish I could say your experience with them was isolated. There seems to be no gray area, either they take great care of you..... or not. I try to remain unbiased, but stuff like this plus my own experiences makes it VERY difficult.
                            C'est la vie - I'll happily use a different repair center if needed in the future, just wanted to feed back so maybe some other folk can avoid an unpleasant experience like I had. I welcome the opportunity to be laid-back in life. -- cheers matie !

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                              He said it......I've had great experiences with Reynersons and in the course of our relationship there has been NO attemps from them to "educate" me or any suggestive statements of any kind.

Comment

Working...
                              X