problem with thunder 9mm hc, fail to extract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: problem with thunder 9mm hc, fail to extract

I ready find this issue with the extractor interesting if this is the problematic case. Both Pro 9 UC & HC since their introduction have never had this sort of experience. I've made a "ammo cocktail" one time with several FMJ & JHP 9mm ammo with my Pro 9 HC (Remington Green Line/UMC, Federal/American Eagle, Speer GDHP, Ranger T, HST, Remington JHP, etc.) to try to force it to fail. Every round fired and ejected...
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

Comment

Originally posted by NCFlyfisher View Post
      I ready find this issue with the extractor interesting if this is the problematic case. Both Pro 9 UC & HC since their introduction have never had this sort of experience. I've made a "ammo cocktail" one time with several FMJ & JHP 9mm ammo with my Pro 9 HC (Remington Green Line/UMC, Federal/American Eagle, Speer GDHP, Ranger T, HST, Remington JHP, etc.) to try to force it to fail. Every round fired and ejected...
      I find all of this interesting also. I like trying to figure out what is going on and how things work. Given the excellent reputation and track record of the 9HC and 9UC I think something very much out of the ordinary is going on here. I didn't really start having any issues until I started firing a lot of SD ammo, especially +P.

The first two malfunctions were failures to eject not extract and the slide did not fully cycle. It jammed not because the next round was pushed up against an empty case in the chamber it jammed when the slide tried to push the empty case back into the chamber. The next two malfunctions were straight forward failures to extract.

As I've stated earlier I'm of the belief the problem is the chamber. A faulty extractor does not explain the first two malfunctions. I believe extra difficult extractions caused by an out of spec chamber could cause the slide to lose momentum and not properly cycle. I imagine it could also be rough on the extractor and cause additional problems there too. So in my mind a faulty chamber can explain all four malfunctions a faulty extractor cannot. Perhaps the higher pressures associated with the ammo I have shot recently made the problem apparent. Maybe with the mild target loads the out of spec issue is no big deal.

Eagle is scheduled to receive my barrel today so if they mail the replacement by Friday I should have it in time to hit the range next weekend. I never meant to make this a long drawn out discussion but when Eagle offered to replace the barrel it seemed a no brainer to me, quick, inexpensive, and no gunsmith needed.
      Last edited by Bob C; 04-06-2011, 06:26 AM.
      "Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper".

Thomas Jefferson

Thunder 9 HC Duo-Tone

Comment

Bob,

My info is :

Sn# B21***
        MFG: 100929 (9/29/10)

I know when talking to the gunsmith at Reynersons he has said there were a "bunch" in for this. In fact the only delay in getting my work done there was that they were waiting on a shipment of new barrels. The fact is anything that is manufactured can have issues. Just because it doesnt normally happen doesnt mean it cant. The good thing is they seem to be aware if they are willing to just swap you a new barrel rather than make you go through the normal process. I wish I could have done that and not been out the shipping $ (about 60 bucks). I also was advised to go shoot 100 rounds "good ammo" for another 30 bucks, and then of course the time it took me to go through the warrantly process. Looking forward to hearing your resolution to this.

Comment

There have been a number of 9mm's in for this issue. We have found several issues including bad extractors and some bad slides. If the round fires, but does not extract, and will simply fall out of the chamber when you clear it, it is probably not the barrel.
          If you have a problem, let us know. We're hear to help.
          Thanks,
          C. Royce Honeycutt
          Master Gunsmith
          Colorado Gun Works, L.L.C.
          Bersa Warranty Center

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
            A $20 donation to BersaChat says it's nothing more than gunk or extractor spring damaged caused by gunk. Clean your guns people.
            Extractor removal is simple and not time consuming.
            I took mine apart today and cleaned a ton of gunk out of the extractor cavity. I was kind of excited that there was so much, hoping that I fixed the problem...nope, I shot 100 rounds of walmart wwb this morning and still had 10-12 FTE's. I'll be sending mine in this week. I'll post when I get mine back too.

Comment

Got a new barrel and extractor in the mail.... changed em out....... will try it out at the range this weekend....

Comment

went to the range, things are worse... with new barrel and extractor, fte every 2-3 ropunds. tried 4 different rounds, with 2 different mags. off to royce for a tune up.

Comment

Originally posted by loganmn View Post
                  went to the range, things are worse... with new barrel and extractor, fte every 2-3 ropunds. tried 4 different rounds, with 2 different mags. off to royce for a tune up.
                  Sounds like you got a lemon. Sorry to hear it but I think CGW will make it work.

Comment

well, as it happens, my dealer bought thru davidson's... soooo i talked to him yesterday, and a brand NEW 9hc is in my safe today. if that's how davidson's does business, i'm a customer for life.

Comment

well, as it happens, my dealer bought thru davidson's... soooo i talked to him yesterday, and a brand NEW 9hc is in my safe today. if that's how davidson's does business, i'm a customer for life.
                      That's great loganmn,

to your dealer
                      to Davidson's
                      Long story short, jab is a male.
                      Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Better post a range report quick! We want good news!

Comment

Having same problem. I bought my 9mm UC used, less than a year old but still the second owner, (actually I'm the third owner in a year. I found a receipt in the box with the name and number of someone else who owned it for about two months. Feeling a little foolish cause it seems I paid the same for it as he did). CGW offered to fix it anyway at no charge and my local gun shop(Mary's Pistols) shipped it for free. Thanks again for the great service. Just took it to the range for the fifth time and am starting to have the same problem. This time it fte about %1 instead of %10 but it does. I bought it for a potential carry weapon but am not really confident in it. I'll look into other fixes but would sure like to have one that fires 1000 rounds like the video I saw with no jams. Oh, also, I'm not sure what CGW did to fix it the first time. Hey, I just realized I'm on an HC thread, not a UC. I could still use any suggestions from those with any experience with this issue. Thanks bgun
                          Last edited by bgun; 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM. Reason: Additions and corrections

Comment

Working...
                          X