Problem with brand new Bersa Thunder .380

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with brand new Bersa Thunder .380

I just bought a new Bersa Thunder .380 for my girlfriend.
    We are in California, so there was the usual 10-day wait.
    Picked up he gun yesterday and put the first 100 rounds through it.

I have failure-to-feed issues 80% of the time.

I only used factory ball ammo (American Eagle). 4 out of 5 times, the slide would stay open afer every shot, forcing me to cycle the slide (pull it back the little bit more of the travel left in it and then let go) and a round would chamber. Fire. Same thing would happen again.

The gun is obviously under warranty, so I'd like to know my next steps.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated

Re: Problem with brand new Bersa Thunder .380

I wonder if you're inadvertantly contacting the slide lock lever with your thumb during recoil. It's happened before. Try shooting the pistol left handed and see if the problem goes away. If that doesn't seem to make a difference, try shooting a different brand of ammo, such as Magtech or Blazer.

Incidentally, welcome to Bersa Chat. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new gun.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Comment

Originally posted by pvanosta View Post
      I just bought a new Bersa Thunder .380 for my girlfriend.
      We are in California, so there was the usual 10-day wait.
      Picked up he gun yesterday and put the first 100 rounds through it.

I have failure-to-feed issues 80% of the time.

I only used factory ball ammo (American Eagle). 4 out of 5 times, the slide would stay open afer every shot, forcing me to cycle the slide (pull it back the little bit more of the travel left in it and then let go) and a round would chamber. Fire. Same thing would happen again.

The gun is obviously under warranty, so I'd like to know my next steps.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated
      did you do a thorough cleaning of the gun & mags?...that stuff that gets all over your hands is a preservative & needs to be removed. then oil lightly & you'll be good to go.
      if you gun is Nickel, avoid any cleaner or lube that contains ammonia.

TB
      Trying to use fact & logic to sway the opinion of someone with an agenda is a complete waste of time & energy.

Comment

Don't forget that it's a blowback designed pistol. Limp wristing will come into play and cause the firearm to malfunction.
        Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
        Ayn Rand

Comment

Clean it, lube it, make sure you aren't limp wristing it. Check to see if the slide or mag follower get stuck or bind. Disassemble and clean the mags then use a teflon dry lube inside.

Comment

Also have other people fire it . This will help determine if a limp wrist problem . I have never heard of a Bersa with this many troubles brand new from box. .
            Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Hello, pvanosta and welcome.
              I think the first think that I would do is try switching hands and see if the problem goes away. If not, try different ammo.....
              Good luck to both you and your girlfriend.
              There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Comment

It is possible that there is a problem with the slide catch lever. If after trying some, if not all of the advice listed here in the thread, it seems to still be an issue, please let us know and you can ship it to us for service under the warranty program.

To do so, simply write us a letter explaining what the concern is with the firearm, include a phyical address for us to return it to, a phone number where you can be reached, and then box it up good and tight, and ship it to us.
                We will repair the issue and get it returned to you a.s.a.p.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
                Thanks,
                C. Royce Honeycutt
                Master Gunsmith
                Colorado Gun Works, L.L.C.
                Bersa Warranty Center

Comment

When mine was new it refused to cycle American Eagle ammo. Now that it's got a few rounds through it I don't have any trouble with any ammo. Try some different ammo.

Bronson
                  Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X